What's on YOUR fridge?

Can you see what color your fridge is without squinting?  Or is it buried?

We moved into a rental house when we first moved to Tacoma which was just around the corner from the little office where my husband was assigned to work.  When he spotted the sign, we went to look at it.  We had to push the debris aside with a foot to see if there was a carpet.  We figured it was worth losing the commute from south Seattle, but it was a lot of yucky work just to not have any deposits required.  Today I would have tried to get half off the first month's rent, as well. If he had not been literally able to walk to work and home for lunch, I don't think we would have considered it.

Our refrigerator is not that bad.  It is white, and readily identifiable as white.  That said, it holds a lot of things up so they won't be lost.  I once asked my oldest daughter, when she was still at home, to leave me a note if she was going to be gone somewhere--I suggested on the fridge.  She just looked at me and said, "How is anybody going to notice a note on the fridge, really?"  I had to concede the point, I would not walk into the room and be instantly struck by the visual surprise of a new square of paper posted there to offer urgent information.  So the rule became, stick it on the television screen.  There, it stands out.

Kathy Kidd, the Queen of the Universe, read the references to the refrigerator postings of a friend.  She offered up a smorgasbord of her humorous magnets.  (The post contains the link to her friend from Meridian.)  I have mostly comic strips, held up by various forms of magnets.  I do have Jeanne Jordan's happy face (below).  Most of the other magnets are free donations from various enterprises, or just plain nubs.  To have clever, comical magnets (like K.Kidd) you generally have to pay for them somewhere.


But I do have reading and laughing material.  They just mostly come out of newspapers, which I've already paid for.  It's a great system!


There was one from "Shoe" for Hubby, where the old bird is sitting at the diner, looking at the menu in terms of his diet and asks, "How much is a serving?"  The waitress replies, "Just enough to make you mad."

Or Luann: the parents have announced that they're going out, the teenagers will have to make their own dinner.  The teenagers cheer--she says, "Macaroni and cheese!"  He says, "Frozen pizza!"  "Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches!"  "Cookies and milk, mmm!"  Mom, putting on her coat, asks Dad, "Why do I bother to cook?" and he murmurs, "Because they appreciate it so much?"



This Sunday "Zits" comic (click to enlarge) is classic on the difference between women and men, teenaged version.  She carefully assess all the messages, arranges, then waits for him to read, smile, recognize--and he's oblivious to any of it.  Nuance is not in the job description of being a fifteen year old boy.

Here's the adult Mars/Venus version--





One group I had to photocopy before they became too yellow to read.  They weren't in color anyway.

 Velcro, not-melting brains...Calvin's sentiment is all too real, and bears remembering on a rough day.  These stay.

I have had several from "Pickles."  This one I used to start a talk in church--




I see all these ads for homes with updated kitchens--granite counters and all stainless steel appliances.  What would I do with a stainless steel refrigerator?  Stainless steel won't hold magnets, so what good is that?

And what would poor old Bob do, this bendable, sad sack figure who was the subject of various escapades in the fifth grade?  He'd be homeless!

Comments

  1. As I sit here in front of my computer, I have NO IDEA what's on my fridge. That's called 'Paying Attention'. Love the cartoons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've had a magnet-free fridge for 17 years now. Such a loss.

    Answering machine. *snerk* Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We love you too, Hugh

The apple tree's tale

Goodby, cont.