Jots and Titles

Hey, look, Ma, I won!

Well, it's not a statement of merit, just a pick out of a hat, but the library lady called and said I get the prize for the week on the book spine poetry challenge.  Though she thought the last one of these was delightful.  (Toot toot! that's my own horn.) I told her that with only one exception, I was acquainted with or had heard speak, each of the authors.  It's cheating, I suppose, that one of them is my charming cousin Emily Watts.  The deal was that we could only submit one a week, and the weeks are done now and I tumbled to this a little late, but I'm still having fun with it.

The prize? The librarian had picked a CD of various artists covering Leonard Cohen songs.  I had heard the name and went to look him up.  He started out as a poet, wrote at least one novel, and went into songwriting which actually made him a living.  He is still out there, coming to perform in Seattle in November at the age of 77. The album is called "Tower of Song."

Now--Some more creations.  It's intriguing to consider how to build a message or a mood, create an atmospheric skeleton of meaning with random (to the various authors' intentions) words and phrases.

That's:
Julie/ The prisoner/Lost in a good book/ The book of air and shadows/ Ghost country/ Shades of milk and honey/ Sorcerers and seers/ The other life/ One true thing/ To live again/ Time and time again

Or this simpler variation:




Who can resist this?


My parents married on a dare/ Being the Mom/ Becoming Dad/ No more strangers/ Family/ Lighten up!/ Take two chocolates and call me in the morning.

Story:  Single mom meets good man, they marry kind of precipitously, he's somewhat panicked but he is feeling his way because they have to get this together now--it's all right!  Let go and breathe, and insert a little humor.

This is fun, but I have to go do something serious now.  Maybe you don't.  TTFN!

[That's "ta ta for now," for all you who don't speak Tigger]



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We love you too, Hugh

The apple tree's tale

Goodby, cont.