Random Bits

Last night at 12:30 (a.m.) I was in bed but not yet asleep, and heard noise that sounded like someone banging on the door next door, and then going down the shared driveway.  A lot of rattling, moving back and forth, and then it sounded like something was hitting our own windows downstairs.  I got up to see what the heck was going on.

It was hail.  Keep in mind that the day had been clear and kind of hot--83 degrees breaking the high-60's we had been stuck in--and there had been no hint of rain.  I remembered that the news had shown a couple of intense, small storm cells southeast of Tacoma, and there had been one or two flashes in the window, no thunder, while the news was on.  It was supposed to be another day today like yesterday was, clear and low 80's, so I was not expecting anything else.

This wasn't just hail, it was hail the size of marbles, and it got going hard and intense for just over 5 minutes while I watched through my open front door.  Whoo!  That's a lot of loud, hitting cars, windows, sidewalk, and street.  That would be bruising to be caught outside in, and it was so dense as it came down that it almost obscured the sight of the sidewalk across the street.  When the end-times prophecies talk about huge hailstones bringing destruction, I can believe it--I was glad I didn't have any crops coming up.

I had an assessment Monday with a chiropractor for my  recent injury; I have chosen to go with chiropractic rather than physical therapy this time, but my previous chiropractor retired, so I am trying one with a different approach.  He told me to stand up, feet together, and when I did, he asked me to look at my feet.  My left foot was a good two inches back from my right.  I moved it so that my toes were evenly lined up together, but it felt wrong.  My low back muscles did not want my left leg positioned where it belonged.  Hmmm, can we believe that I'm hurting?  I also had  very impaired reflexes. Unfortunately, there was no hole in his schedule to actually treat me until Friday--he had worked me into a tight schedule for the intake, and with the holiday, he was missing a day of availability that week, so I was in real pain by Friday.  The weekend has been a little better.

I did not make my goal of four blog posts last week, partly because of misery, and the meds make me fuzzy, partly because of all the other things going on.  We have a pending insurance crisis--our health insurance is dropping all prescription coverage because the state has declared that they can't be allowed to offer generic drugs only.  I am the designated fact-finder for what we can do about this, and the answers I had on Friday are not good.  I bought (fabulous!) local strawberries, had to take care of them.  And my youngest sister and her husband are passing through Seattle this weekend, and I have to clean up what I can, and I really wish I could move more.  I'm excited to see them.

I have ideas, honest I do, to line out here, but time and energy are a little challenged.  I have improvement in my ability to move, and that's good.  Carole is going to come down and help for a day or two, and that's very good.  I think I have found the right avenue of therapy, and that's great.  I will just do my best with all of it. 

And keep praying.  That's where my help always is, when all is said and done.

Comments

  1. Hailstones? Wow! We rarely get hail in this part of California, but it does happen occasionally.

    When things go wrong with my body, which is often enough, thank you, I have a plethora of medical options. Many times I opt for my chiropractor. It's amazing the relief he can bring me, and I am also grateful when he tells me to go see my primary care physician.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We love you too, Hugh

The apple tree's tale

Goodby, cont.