Patience, again

Patience is a virtue, we know that's so.  I guess I've been given lots of opportunity to practice.

Right now I am grateful to not be in real pain, considering that I was struck by another car at freeway speed a few days ago.  I am not worse, just sitting here, than I have sometimes been when I do too much and get overfatigued; the difference is that in the normal course of things, and it's been several months since I was in this level of reaction, I could lay low and rest more for a day or two, and then be back to (my) normal.  Not so here.

I walked around the block on Wednesday or Thursday, slowly.  That was it, and I felt it after.  I had a couple of carefully brief errands on Saturday.  I had asked Hubby to get bread for me, but when he found out I had to go that direction for something else, he gave that assignment back to me in the interests of gasoline economy and I hesitantly agreed.  My foray into the grocery store was carefully planned to not miss anything and have to backtrack, so that I could be on my feet as briefly as possible.  I took one of those shrimpy little half-carts and got bread, milk, yogurt, looked at meat specials and passed, and drinks to travel this weekend.  Then I left and went home, my back telling me clearly that I had better not stop at Target for the one thing I needed.  Good call, because my back continued to increase its complaint for the next eight hours until bed.  It did feel better in the morning, and I was able to attend all my church meetings, for which I am grateful.

I want so much to go get in the pool!  In normal circumstances I would go at least walk in the water, or sit on a styrofoam noodle (it cuts the impact of movement down) and try out some of the moves in my water aerobics class and see how it goes. In normal circumstances getting moving would help. But I know that I do not have five or ten minutes of active movement in me yet, safely.  I want to be better enough to enjoy the trip later this week, we are going off for a couple of days to  the Canadian border, staying in a little town and wandering around the area.  I suspect our explorations are going to be curtailed now, but we're going.

I will go to Target for a camera case--I want to take my camera on this jaunt and all I have is the box, not the best carry system.  Then a nap, and then I will try around the block, then ice.  Tomorrow I may be able to try the pool, or probably just the therapy pool before my massage therapy appointment.

Easy movement around the house.  Extra meds, extra rest, tried the standard physical therapy exercises last night, half as many counts and half as many repetitions as I would normally do every day, skipping the other stretch-and-strengthen exercises for now that are a part of my normal routine on the floor.  Continuing  prayer and faith.  I know how to do this.  Been there, done that, doing it again; doesn't much matter whether I want to.  Grateful I'm not alone in this, ever.

Patience.  Why waste all that practice of months and years past?  It will be okay.  Meanwhile, I can get wrapped up in a good book with a clear conscience, catch up with friends on the phone, and get some writing done.  Right now, gotta go get that ice pack.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We love you too, Hugh

The apple tree's tale

Goodby, cont.