"Berlin miracle"
I was preparing a lesson in January, and the list of teacher resources included a talk by one of the General Authorities listed in CR (Conference Reports) October 1978. Now, I know full well that CR means the following month, May for April Conference, or November for October Conference, as to the Ensign issues where the conference talks are printed. I've been making that shift for a long time. (In my defense, I have found that if you go back far enough, some conference talks are scattered in various issues of The Improvement Era, which was the earlier Church magazine predating the Ensign; however, those are in years that are too early to be available on lds.org, which is where I was looking.)
But on this particular day, I looked at that designation on my list and called up the October Ensign, stubbornly searching for Brother Packer, who was not there. I found an article which gave me valuable historical background and then paused to read an article called "Berlin Miracle." Riveted, I found this to be exactly what I needed to end my lesson with. The lesson was titled "True Disciples and Faithful Stewards," and covered the beginning of living the law of consecration--the Lord teaching the principle of stewardship. It's the story of a family in WWII and its immediate aftermath. I hope you will take a few minutes to read it. I touched on the beginning portion for class, then I used the last two stories within it, starting at the point where it says, "After Victory-in-Europe Day..." How truly Heavenly Father watches over us! How much He is there if we trust in Him.
The final miracle, a man who could no longer believe, and a woman who could not doubt.
(P.S. As soon as I had read, absorbed, and printed this, I suddenly did a double-take and recognized that I was in the wrong issue, and found Brother Packer's conference talk in the November Ensign without delay. No surprise, I guess.)
But on this particular day, I looked at that designation on my list and called up the October Ensign, stubbornly searching for Brother Packer, who was not there. I found an article which gave me valuable historical background and then paused to read an article called "Berlin Miracle." Riveted, I found this to be exactly what I needed to end my lesson with. The lesson was titled "True Disciples and Faithful Stewards," and covered the beginning of living the law of consecration--the Lord teaching the principle of stewardship. It's the story of a family in WWII and its immediate aftermath. I hope you will take a few minutes to read it. I touched on the beginning portion for class, then I used the last two stories within it, starting at the point where it says, "After Victory-in-Europe Day..." How truly Heavenly Father watches over us! How much He is there if we trust in Him.
The final miracle, a man who could no longer believe, and a woman who could not doubt.
(P.S. As soon as I had read, absorbed, and printed this, I suddenly did a double-take and recognized that I was in the wrong issue, and found Brother Packer's conference talk in the November Ensign without delay. No surprise, I guess.)
Wow! What a terrific story!
ReplyDeleteSo! There is a reason you were in the 'wrong' edition.
ReplyDeleteSo...where do I find the story? Not finding a link.
ReplyDeleteIf I didn't make the link (the word is 'story' in orange) visible enough, here is another try:
ReplyDeleteLDS.org - Ensign Article - Berlin Miracle
http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/lds_servlet/EmailArticleProcess?action=view&cmlId=836934&locale=0&emId=596767468
Wow. What a story!
ReplyDeleteDo you remember Mom's neighbor's story? http://spindyeknit.com/2006/11/another-war-story/