Fear wins out--stopped at the edge of the promised land

Institute is done for the summer, until September.  One sister, when this was announced a few weeks ago, exclaimed in dismay, "We have to stop for the summer?"  I remember the same reaction from a sister who had retired at age 60 and started coming.  "But I need this!  do people really need the summer?  Can't we do something during the summer?"  I wasn't the teacher then, just one of the class, but I would never had known this dear friend except for Institute, and she has been unable to come once this year. I've missed her. She had been called to teach the night time class, and we would consult, but not this year.

We had a huge lesson, in terms of reading to cover:  Numbers 13-36 (its last chapter).  I wasn't feeling well, and I was doing the best I could to concentrate and prepare.  I am so grateful for the Lord making up the difference and carrying me through, these last two weeks in particular beyond any adequacy of mine, as we were in the last push to clear out of our old house.  I have not had the usual luxury of time.

This lesson begins with the sending of scouts--spies--into Canaan, poised to go in and possess the land the Lord has promised.  Twelve leaders, one from each of the tribes, are chosen and sent.  They come back with an account that their is indeed fruit, water, greenness, but of course there are also populations.  It's too scary to proceed.  Only Joshua and Caleb say, if the Lord is with us we are able to overcome.

They not only are afraid, they create a general attitude of refusal and fear.  After all they have seen and all they have been given, they have no faith.  They are back to 'why did you bring us here to die in the wilderness.'   Some even start to look for "a captain, and let us return unto Egypt." (Num.14:4)

One sister said, "Who do they think is going to feed them manna on the way back?"   Good question.  No one.  Short-sighted, never fully converted though every daily sign is before their eyes, though they have had powerful witnesses bear testimony to them, they are still faithless.

The Lord tells Moses that he sees no point in continuing with them, they will never fulfill the covenant, but Moses pleads for mercy and time.  The Lord agrees, but declares that the adult generation will never see the promised land, and they will wander in the desert one year for every day that they went to survey the land that they have failed to inherit--forty years.  This was the point that the long journey would have been done, had they been ready to ask, "What would the Lord have us do?"  Instead, they wailed and despaired and assumed the worst, and lost the opportunity.

Laman and Lemuel are not the only proofs that miracles do not produce faith.  Lasting change, or conversion, comes from the heart and will, not from the outward evidences.  Spiritual desire can be sparked by those evidences, or from others' testimony and light, but we must gain and act upon our own conviction.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We love you too, Hugh

The apple tree's tale

Goodby, cont.