Happy Birthday, Mom!
Happy Birthday to my wonderful mother today!
| My parents with me, age 1 1/2 |
Once we were married and living across the country, the chief times that Mom came were for babies. These two are from when Geoff was born. She was only able to come for a week, so he's not older than that. His hair grew in blonde, and didn't look quite as dark to start out as this seems. The second picture is of all of us, using our van as the sitting space, and I can't find the original, just this paper copy, so it's not as crisp
| Newborn Geoffrey |
| All of us (except Dad, playing photog) 1988 |
Mom was always help, never strain, and she made such a difference when she came. There have also been a couple of great visits with both of the folks, and trips we have made to Friday Harbor (in the San Juan Islands, WA) and Victoria, British Columbia together--I seem to have pictures of Buchart Gardens, the Empress Hotel, the kids, but not of them. I am definitely deficient, unintentionally. For that vacation, we rented a 15-passenger van and took off for ferries and international borders.
My mother gave me a love of music, a love of poetry, and a love of the truths of the gospel. She enjoyed being our mother, and had a good time. She gave us freedom to play and have friends, to roam, and get dirty. She also took it very seriously, and was an effective teacher. We knew the rules were real, and she always made the reasons for them understood. She did her job well, and blessed all of our lives.
"Glory be to God for dappled things..." (Gerard M. Hopkins), Shakespeare, John Donne, Emily Dickinson, Edna St. Vincent Millay. Fairy tales, mythology of Greece and the Norse tales. I had a book of poetry I would check out from the library periodically and read. "Abou Ben Adam, may his tribe increase, /Awoke one night from a deep dream of peace..." Kipling, Nesbitt, George MacDonald, writers that kids don't read anymore. (My mother refused to take us to the animated Jungle Book because she didn't want to see it ruined.) She and my father gave us a strong sense of family, both in terms of our immediate connections and our heritage in the Church. They live their testimonies, and we learned to find ours.
I knew that my mother and I were unusual in the topics--philosophy, religion, literature-- we discussed, working in the kitchen or just between demands of our activities, but until I went to college I didn't realize how unusual it was that my mother and I would talk. I just assumed that other daughters had different subject lists, but enjoyed the same kind of relationship, and that was often not the case.
My mother is 82 today, and we were just there for a great visit, where Alison snuck this picture at the end of dinner, our last night. Alison and I and our other halves were the last ones left, and you can see the reflections in the glass doors to the balcony, behind the dining room table. You can see the reflection of the art from the inside wall as well. Happy, happy, joy, joy!--in loving seriousness and not irony, Mom. Happy birthday! If Dad takes you back to the Tea Garden to celebrate, make sure he gets in the door intact. Have fun.
| End of family dinner, Dec.'12 [ed. to add: that's where they went, and the entry was now brightly lit, no mishaps] |
And Alison says that your mom shares a birthday with your grand (great?) nephew Parker! Congrats all around!
ReplyDeleteThey went back? That was a great act of kindness and solidarity towards those worried restaurateurs after all that happened.
ReplyDeleteIt's Dad's favorite place, and you know how he wants a really good Chinese restaurant; when I was in school, there really wasn't one in Salt Lake. And I goofed--the name of it is The Hongkong Teahouse, and they were joyously received, anxious that he was all right.
ReplyDelete