First callings


It was something I pondered, getting ready to go across the country for college.  There would be student wards, and I would be one of the young adult members, a peer, and not someone’s child.  What could I possibly do to serve?  I was nervous about being in a new place, where I would not know anyone, at least at first.  I had been in the same ward since I turned nine and we moved into the “new house.” (Which my parents would leave when I was over fifty.)  I was comfortable there, but this would be a brand new environment.

I decided that one thing I did already know how to do was lead music.  We had a wonderful woman who set up a class with all the young women who could play the piano and she put one of the piano, one on the organ, and the rest of us with batons in hand, and we practiced the hymns, Saturday mornings at the chapel.  Maybe I could lead the music for sacrament meeting, that might be good.  Useful, but safe.

Well, I did get called as a chorister—I’m sure that we filled out something about talents, interests, and background—but it was for Sunday School.  Back in the day, young people, we had Sunday School in the morning and Sacrament Meeting in the late afternoon or early evening.  Each was an hour and a half, and there were opening exercises and a practice hymn for Sunday School before we were dismissed for classes.  This calling was inspired, because it put to use a skill I was fairly confident in—leading the hymns—but put me in a place where I had to do more; I had to teach that practice hymn every week.  It made me visible up front, and ensured that everyone knew who I was. I would have hidden quietly at the back of the chapel otherwise.  But I loved those times growing up, learning the hymns, and now I was able to be the one to bring that delight to others, as long as they couldn’t hear my knees shake.

I loved Relief Society, and I thought Spiritual Living was wonderful, that would be the most amazing thing to teach that course.  Arriving for my sophomore year, I was called in to the bishop’s office, with his counselors too, and asked to teach—Spiritual Living!  I told them that I had been given the perfect calling for last year as chorister and now if you had asked me I would have said that this was the thing I would most hope for. They looked at each other, and the bishop looked at me and laughed, saying that if I decided I wanted to be bishop, to be sure and let him know.  I demurred immediately on that score, but I was really happy.  I was nineteen and was given my first opportunity to teach.  Since everyone else was new to this adulthood stuff, it wasn't too scary either.  Well, only a little.

The next year I was married, and in a married student ward where the first thing that happened was to be assigned, both of us, to be in a teacher development class.  Our teacher was not in school herself, she was married to a medical student, and she taught at the local Shriner’s Hospital.  A real teacher!  She was wonderful, and that class taught me a lot.  She and her husband are the only friends from our married student ward that we are still in touch with, and they ended up in Eastern Washington, so we have been able to visit them from time to time.  We have phone contact at least.

I always planned on being a teacher.  It didn't happen, because I got married and had to choose between getting my degree finished quickly or pursuing the extra year to gain my teaching certificate and risk not finishing at all.  Hubby didn't want to stay in Utah, where we were, and I was sure that I could complete one year but not sure about twoToo many things can happen in life to derail your plans; so we went for the safe thing with the idea that if circumstances permitted I could go back for the following year and get the teaching certificate as a separate addition to the bachelor's degree.  As it turned out, life didn't work out that way, and I have never taught school, but I have taught all of my life in the Church, which is an even richer experience.

One way or another, the things the Lord calls me to do always have blessings for me included in whatever avenue of service he assigns.  Every one of us is learning on the job, and given the 'layity' nature of the Church, we have great strength in knowing that He is mindful of what we need and what He knows we can give--though we ourselves might have no idea.  

He doesn't wait until we are comfortable or feel like we are capable--he promises to show us how to be capable.  I have a friend who said that her early experience in callings was to call her to Primary when she had babies, and then to Young Women when she had girls in Primary.  "Here is your curriculum, [name] if you are willing to accept it."  Every calling to teach or serve in advance of her own children's stages was preparation for what they would need, and how to steer wisely through those difficulties which naturally arose.  She didn't grow up in the Church, and so found her advance training through these places of service, and saw the Lord's hand in her preparation.  

Whatever the course, it is individualized for each of us, and is the best way to "find" ourselves.

Comments

  1. Your posting resonates with me. I taught, part-time, at the community college level. I wanted to be a full-time teacher, but that never happened. If you follow my blog, you know that I attend a senior day care center. I am not content with simply being served, and now I conduct 2–3 different programs each month. And I find this a very fulfilling.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We love you too, Hugh

The apple tree's tale

Goodby, cont.