A grand and marvelous opening

"There and back again..." (and yes, The Hobbit is opening next weekend)---

We returned from Utah yesterday, tired, happy, and tired.  We bought fried chicken for dinner and slept hard in our own bed.  We had a wonderful time.  This was a visit with my parents with our children and grandchildren thrown in, instead of the reverse.

The occasion was my parents' 60th anniversary, but the date and the party were four weeks previous; this gathering was delayed because of scheduling problems, and only four of the six of us were able to come, in the end.  But it was the opening of Dad's gallery space, long hoped for, in Salt Lake, made possible through generous friends and serendipity which was really divine help.

Old 24th Ward building, now full of music and art

 This church, long since passed out of ecclesiastical use, is now the new home of the Salt Lake Choral Artists, a group which started out as the Jay Welch Chorale, Jay Welch having been a fellow French missionary with my dad, and the director, when I was in it, of the Mormon Youth Symphony and Chorus.  (He used to also be an assistant director of the Tabernacle Choir and a professor at the University of Utah.)  My father was offered the opportunity to set up his art on the walls and have work and office space way up in that tower.  When the choir is not using the building for their rehearsals, etc., he will have the opportunity to schedule visitors and clients.

Dad had not been able to get quite everything hanged that he wished to have for his opening, but he declared himself satisfied enough.  Since most of us were there Thursday evening,  we offered (well, I couldn't help, but Hubby did) to go over on Friday afternoon, after the shopping for food for the party was done, and get whatever more done that they could in the time that was left.  They were able to hang seven more paintings, in the stairwell between the two main floors.

Hubby and the building manager (a real sweetheart) marking the placement.

The upper room was hung with tapestries, the lower with paintings by various artists on two wall, and then a large grouping of paintings by an American impressionist named William Henry Clapp.



Two young art aficianados in consultation

This (above) is one of my favorite pictures of the afternoon; this is our two oldest granddaughters making the circuit, painting by painting, here in front of the Clapps, having just turned the corner between the two walls.  The wall on the right is shorter, there are three or four paintings in total (where you can see two) and then a stage and piano opening into the curve of the bottom of the tower section.



Someone took my camera to prove I was there too, and this is me with my father.

The afternoon was wonderful, I saw relatives I haven't seen in ages, and met people I didn't know; many of whom I saw again the next day in church, and all were friends of my folks.  It was a wonderful afternoon, the food was distinctive and delicious, and the atmosphere warm and congratulatory.  I didn't get the camera upstairs into the tapestries, I was busier with people than camera; maybe I can find some pictures elsewhere for tomorrow.  Till then, all done for now. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We love you too, Hugh

The apple tree's tale

Goodby, cont.