Tender desires

Our stake Relief Society Institute class a few weeks ago was on revelations to various persons in the early days of the Church who wanted to know how the Lord wanted them to serve.  (Doctrine & Covenants 4,11,12, 14-16)  The main focus of the lesson plan was to discuss principles of service.

The basic messages were lovely and simple.  The various brethren were counseled to learn what the Lord was giving them first, to keep the message simple that they took forward, to teach what God had given them and not to add the things which came from false traditions which were being left behind, and to go forward with the promises of eternal life and blessing.

We talked about the blessings that come as we serve in our church callings, we looked at the opportunities to serve that come independent of those callings. We read scriptures which described the importance of giving service.

I asked the question, what are the things that can get in the way of our serving?

I was looking for such things as lack of confidence--doubting that we have anything worth contributing--or isolation--closing ourselves off from others--or maybe ill feelings, or thinking we don't have the time.  As the sisters responded from the heart, not going in any of those directions, I was touched.  I stopped the discussion and pointed this out:  None of those impediments even occurred to them.

 They were only talking about being worried that they were not doing enough, that they might not be recognizing situations where they could help.  They were only concerned that they were failing to do good where they might be able to make a difference, or where they were trying but weren't sure what best to do.  Was there some way they could be more effective?

I stand up every week in front of a group of true followers of our Master, Jesus Christ,  to teach.  It's an amazing gift, that in fact we teach each other.  The life experience, the loving hearts of these sisters, their faith and devotion, bring so much to the process.  They give so much to me, and I am grateful for them, for this opportunity to serve and be taught.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We love you too, Hugh

The apple tree's tale

Goodby, cont.