Enforced quiet

Some people wake up in the morning and jump out of bed with a glad cry.  I have to confess that I am not one of them.  Sometimes I move only because I know it's necessary.  When I have slept well, it's much easier, and I can be reasonably awake right off the bat, but good sleep is hard to come by most of the time, because of pain issues.

Right now I am forced to have a quiet day because my right ankle has decided to be the trouble spot.  On Monday, for the first time in quite a while, I was able to get through both of my water exercise classes, all the way to the end of the second one.  I have been coming close, but not all the way; on Monday and Friday I have a water yoga class before the M-W-F water aerobics class that I have been doing for years since my back surgeries.  So, yay! for Monday.  I came out of the YMCA hungry and suddenly ready to fall over, but that's okay, there was food and a nap at home.  Tuesday I caught a break in the rain and got a good walk--I didn't get totally, maximally  fast and fluid in my stride, but I went an extra two blocks, thinking good thoughts, and it was fine.

So at 4 o'clock on Tuesday  I went walking, and at 5 o'clock I went 'ow' as I walked from the front hall to the kitchen.  At 6 I knew I wasn't standing on that foot and fixing anything that might serve as dinner.

Now, this is the same type of pain, the same pattern of complaint, that I went through last May.  Then as now, I didn't do anything that I could identify--I didn't stumble, I didn't twist, I didn't whatever.  Last time it calmed right down until I had to drive for two hours in an emergency situation, after which it refused to calm down for more than two weeks.  I cannot remember for the life of me what directions the doctor told me to stretch and not stretch when I gave up and went in.

There is no visible swelling, and I don't need to find crutches somewhere.  I know the rest, ice, compression, elevation drill.  I'm doing it. I can walk on it a little if I don't put any flexion on that inside/midpoint part of my foot and I take little slow steps. (Until I take too many of them.)

But on Monday, I was feeling full speed ahead!  (For me.)  Anything that changes how I walk will affect the movement from my back, and will set off all those troubles to some extent.  Getting in the water on a noodle so that I can move my body but be kept off the floor would help, but won't do me any good if I can't walk into the building. Or drive to get there.

So, I guess I get to be patient over something else and use the time to try to study and think.  Make some phone calls to people I haven't talked to for too long.  There's always some use to anything, or at least some way around.  I'm grateful for the kind sister who picked me up so I could teach yesterday, and for the tall chair in the building so I could sit to do it.  Class was powerful.  Yesterday was, in fact, very blessed.

That's the thing, I guess.  You can be snarky and grumpy, or you can be aware of your blessings and compensations.  Your ankle will get better at the same pace, I suspect, either way, but waiting the process out is a lot more pleasant the second way.

Comments

  1. Sounds very very familiar. If you ever did damage to your ankle once, I guess it can come back to bite later. (Said the woman who fell off her roof and sprained both hers. So much for sweeping the wet leaves that were backing up water down the vents.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all know that drill, don't we. I won't bore you with my ailments; just wish you the best and pray for you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We love you too, Hugh

The apple tree's tale

Goodby, cont.