Temple service
We had a chance to go to the temple today, and there was a sister on the organ in the chapel. It's very nice when there is a live person offering the quiet music, instead of a programmed automated sequence. As we passed through the door to leave the chapel, my husband turned his head to the organist and mouthed, "thank you." She smiled and nodded, and was happy to be part of the reverence of that place.
It made me remember another sister who used to play the organ as a temple worker. She was our ward choir director for over 30 years, and was only released because she was called as Relief Society president--and even then, she did both for several months until the bishop, gently, lovingly, sat her down in private and told her she needed to be released from the choir. It was quite wrenching for her. Our times of service are normally much more limited.
She was called as Relief Society president at the age of 70, semi-retired as bookkeeper to a small medical practice. Equally astounding was my age--26--when I was called as her second counselor. (The first counselor was a perfectly normal age, in her late 30's.) As homemaking counselor, all I could think was it wasn't 'housekeeping counselor' or I wouldn't have been considered. I was already in the choir, so we knew each other. My family was very young, three girls ages about 9 months, 2, and 4.
We served as the temple was being built. My oldest was in kindergarten when the Seattle temple was dedicated, opening in December of 1980. I learned some things in the lead-up to that date. Sisters at that time could not be endowed alone if they were married to someone who could not go also. Endowments and sealings for those already married were not separated. There was an assignment for the ward to provide people to go and clean the temple in preparation for the public open house. As a Relief Society presidency we prayerfully considered those who would not have an opportunity to attend the temple after its dedication, and offer them a chance to go and give service, then we had the chance to take them and join in the work. It was a sweet role to fill, and a real gift to those who longed to be there but feared that the dedication service would be the end of their eligibility. We also hoped that those who were considering the temple but were not yet sure of making that commitment would feel the spirit of the place and want to return.
It's been a long time since 1980, and I don't remember all those who came on that occasion, but I do remember a childless couple in their 60's. The wife was on the cleaning crew with me, hoping that someday she could come, that her long-inactive husband would have a change of heart. He did start coming back to church and caught the spark. It was a great joy when, after 40 years or so of marriage, they did indeed go to the temple.
One of those who would be coming back alone was me. I had been endowed and married in the temple, but my husband was now not able to go because of problems in his life. Thanks to the generosity of a friend, I was able to leave my children in her care and attend a session on the first day the temple was open, which was a great blessing. Today, together, my husband and I teach temple preparation class for our ward. If I told you how long we have been serving in that calling, somebody might notice and release us, and we don't want that. We have had the privilege of teaching and watching those who are taking root and deepening their understanding of the gospel of Christ, and who yearn for the fullest blessings of that gospel in their lives. We have been able to watch them become radiant and see their families blessed. We have seen miracles, and we've had some of those ourselves.
It made me remember another sister who used to play the organ as a temple worker. She was our ward choir director for over 30 years, and was only released because she was called as Relief Society president--and even then, she did both for several months until the bishop, gently, lovingly, sat her down in private and told her she needed to be released from the choir. It was quite wrenching for her. Our times of service are normally much more limited.
She was called as Relief Society president at the age of 70, semi-retired as bookkeeper to a small medical practice. Equally astounding was my age--26--when I was called as her second counselor. (The first counselor was a perfectly normal age, in her late 30's.) As homemaking counselor, all I could think was it wasn't 'housekeeping counselor' or I wouldn't have been considered. I was already in the choir, so we knew each other. My family was very young, three girls ages about 9 months, 2, and 4.
We served as the temple was being built. My oldest was in kindergarten when the Seattle temple was dedicated, opening in December of 1980. I learned some things in the lead-up to that date. Sisters at that time could not be endowed alone if they were married to someone who could not go also. Endowments and sealings for those already married were not separated. There was an assignment for the ward to provide people to go and clean the temple in preparation for the public open house. As a Relief Society presidency we prayerfully considered those who would not have an opportunity to attend the temple after its dedication, and offer them a chance to go and give service, then we had the chance to take them and join in the work. It was a sweet role to fill, and a real gift to those who longed to be there but feared that the dedication service would be the end of their eligibility. We also hoped that those who were considering the temple but were not yet sure of making that commitment would feel the spirit of the place and want to return.
It's been a long time since 1980, and I don't remember all those who came on that occasion, but I do remember a childless couple in their 60's. The wife was on the cleaning crew with me, hoping that someday she could come, that her long-inactive husband would have a change of heart. He did start coming back to church and caught the spark. It was a great joy when, after 40 years or so of marriage, they did indeed go to the temple.
One of those who would be coming back alone was me. I had been endowed and married in the temple, but my husband was now not able to go because of problems in his life. Thanks to the generosity of a friend, I was able to leave my children in her care and attend a session on the first day the temple was open, which was a great blessing. Today, together, my husband and I teach temple preparation class for our ward. If I told you how long we have been serving in that calling, somebody might notice and release us, and we don't want that. We have had the privilege of teaching and watching those who are taking root and deepening their understanding of the gospel of Christ, and who yearn for the fullest blessings of that gospel in their lives. We have been able to watch them become radiant and see their families blessed. We have seen miracles, and we've had some of those ourselves.
Comments
Post a Comment