Any excuse for a party

My father knows how to throw a party.  When he's in charge, you can count on a good time.  He has given out invitations to a unique celebration, and I would surely go if I could get there without an airplane.

What is the occasion?  The fifteenth anniversary of his engagement to my mother, whom he married in 1952.  Wait a minute, you say, that does not compute!  But stop and remember what year this is--leap year.  He proposed on Boston Common on a cold February 29, even though it was supposed to be a Sadie Hawkins-type prerogative, that on that day it was the woman's right to propose marriage.  Such quaint conventions have gone by the board today, which is probably just as well.

He picked the day, he says, so that if he was required to remember it, he would be able to.  Since my mother is more a practical person than a fluff and flutter person, he was probably safe on that score; she was not the type to flee in tears because he fumbled on a memory, but he wanted it to be a special day, including the date.  It is something they can laugh over still, that date.  And this year, with an actual anniversary date, they are bringing all of their friends in on the joke.  The year you make it to 60 years of marriage?  You definitely should get to celebrate that twice.  Big party coming in the fall, I'll lay wagers.


(Maybe I can get to that one....)

Comments

  1. That's a great picture of them! (And I could tell you a story about the evening of their 50th and how I helped botch their plans by mistake oh oops, but never mind.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to your parents! And I have a story of how your dad inadvertantly got me started with my blog. Alison knows the story, but I'll be happy to forward it to her so she can email it to you. Unless you care to give me your email address. Just ask your sister.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We love you too, Hugh

The apple tree's tale

Goodby, cont.