Stop! (but they're so good)

I declared myself all done with pears, righteously satisfied, well done.  Not going to worry about any more of the things.  (See last post.)

The guy who lives in his van on the vacant lot next door, as sort of security for this small cluster of properties, was going to mow that lot and saw me outside and asked if I wanted him to mow ours.  The immediate answer was yes, if you could.  It was way past needing it; a friend said that her grass was long enough to braid, and that's about how ours was too. It needed to be done before winter set in.  (The friend who has so kindly been helping on the yard has had some major family crises going on, and I haven't wanted to add any other form of pressure to his life.)

Lo and behold, with the grass cut, you can see the ground.  And what did I see on the ground yesterday?  More pears,  very visible now, newly fallen from the tree.  Just a few, and easy to see whether they were good or damaged, so I strolled along and picked some up and brought them in, about seven or eight, washed them thoroughly and let them dry.

I'm not supposed to be dealing with any new stuff, we're getting ready to go on a trip.  The pears were supposed to be all done a month ago.  (Hah!)  But, cleaned and put in a brown paper bag, maybe just these few would be edible before we go.  But that was definitely it.  This morning going out to do the laundry--because remember the basement access is outside--there were a couple more, but it looked like the squirrels had gotten them...that's fine, because I'm all done.  I spotted a couple on the ground of the other property, through the hole in the fence, looking big and perfect.

I sternly told myself it didn't matter, I was not unlocking the gate and walking around to the back yard of the empty house to check on them.  'Sternly, self,' and I obeyed.  But I weakened this afternoon and went to look, and came back in with about a dozen of the biggest ones we've had, all intact and sending me messages to be ready to drool when they turn. It's the ones way up on top that get the sun and grow big; they're twice the size of many of the ones we could reach to pick.

I did not get my fill of peaches this year, or melons.  I have not had my fill yet of pears, and dang it, I want these.  (And I really am done now, I have to be.)  The rest can be left for the birds and the squirrels, but this is free food that I truly enjoy! One more try, even if I'm running out of time.  I'll figure it out.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We love you too, Hugh

The apple tree's tale

Goodby, cont.