Rhubarb cake
I haven't been here for a while, and I haven't put up a recipe for a while. We're trying to make more progress in unpacking, and I was in the throes of another project.
Last month a friend gave me a generous amount of rhubarb from her garden, and I went looking for recipes for rhubarb cake, because there was such a yummy one at the reception for Carole's department commencement.
I found a long list, and tried to eyeball them and figure which ones would be best. There was a potluck picnic coming up, and I decided to make two small cakes, cutting recipes in half, so I could try more than one. The cream cake originally called for a cake mix, then the rhubarb and sugar, then cream, and I thought that sounded like too much total fat, and unhelpful to cut in half; it would also require buying a cake mix. So I found a rhubarb pudding cake recipe in the list, a small cake, which called for pouring boiling water over all of it rather than whipping cream. I amalgamated the two, and voila! Success! I just did this again with frozen rhubarb, and it was great still.
Rhubarb Cream Cake
1 egg, beaten
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbl. butter
1/2 cup milk
1 1/4 cup flour
3 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
Topping:
2 1/2-3 cups diced rhubarb
1 cup sugar
1 half-pint whipping cream
Mix cake ingredients and spread batter in 8x8 square cake pan. It will be thick like a coffee cake. Sprinkle rhubarb on top, it should cover the surface evenly. Sprinkle sugar on top of rhubarb, then pour cream over all of it. Bake at 350o for 50-60 minutes until done, when center springs back if you touch it.
Absolutely fabulous. The other recipe I made was a coffee cake, and everyone liked it, but this was the one that they came back to looking for seconds. There's a third recipe which calls for applesauce and rhubarb, and I'll try that one next time I pull out.some frozen rhubarb. The internet has its uses.
Last month a friend gave me a generous amount of rhubarb from her garden, and I went looking for recipes for rhubarb cake, because there was such a yummy one at the reception for Carole's department commencement.
I found a long list, and tried to eyeball them and figure which ones would be best. There was a potluck picnic coming up, and I decided to make two small cakes, cutting recipes in half, so I could try more than one. The cream cake originally called for a cake mix, then the rhubarb and sugar, then cream, and I thought that sounded like too much total fat, and unhelpful to cut in half; it would also require buying a cake mix. So I found a rhubarb pudding cake recipe in the list, a small cake, which called for pouring boiling water over all of it rather than whipping cream. I amalgamated the two, and voila! Success! I just did this again with frozen rhubarb, and it was great still.
Rhubarb Cream Cake
1 egg, beaten
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbl. butter
1/2 cup milk
1 1/4 cup flour
3 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
Topping:
2 1/2-3 cups diced rhubarb
1 cup sugar
1 half-pint whipping cream
Mix cake ingredients and spread batter in 8x8 square cake pan. It will be thick like a coffee cake. Sprinkle rhubarb on top, it should cover the surface evenly. Sprinkle sugar on top of rhubarb, then pour cream over all of it. Bake at 350o for 50-60 minutes until done, when center springs back if you touch it.
Absolutely fabulous. The other recipe I made was a coffee cake, and everyone liked it, but this was the one that they came back to looking for seconds. There's a third recipe which calls for applesauce and rhubarb, and I'll try that one next time I pull out.some frozen rhubarb. The internet has its uses.
Comments
Post a Comment