To beet or not to beet



It's beet season, and that may gladden your heart or be something you care nothing about.

Beets were the only food that my oldest daughter, in her high chair, ever spit right back in my face. Daughter #2 didn't like them either, though her reaction was less vehement.  Daughter #3 was favorable, but I made the mistake of trying them on her while her older sisters were present--you know, dinner time--and both of them immediately clamored at her that those were awful, you don't want them!  So she didn't.  (She eats them now as an adult.)

Hubby and I like beets a lot.  Jonathan and his new fiancee were having dinner with us, and they were still finding out things about each other.  I had either cooked beets or the topic came up, I don't remember which.  Jonathan turned to Maeby and asked, "Do you like beets?"

"Not really, no.  Do you like beets?"

"I despise beets."  He turned to me and said, "That's settled.  Beets will never be served in our house." 

Okay.  (I think Geoff likes beets, but Carole doesn't.  That puts us two for six.)

So, if you love beets, here are our two favorite recipes, so you can... 'beet it.'  
If you don't like them, I guess there's nothing for you today, so... 'beat it--just beat it.'  But y'all come back here tomorrow, you hear?  See you then.

Enjoy.
 
ORANGE BEETS


5 medium fresh beets cooked, peeled, and sliced (or a one pound can, drained)
1 Tbl. cornstarch
1 Tbl. brown sugar
1 tsp. finely shredded orange peel
¾ tsp salt
Dash pepper
¾ cup orange juice
1 Tbl. Vinegar

In small saucepan, stir together cornstarch, brown sugar, orange peel, salt and pepper..  Stir in orange juice and vinegar.  Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils.  Boil and stir one minute.  Stir in beets and heat through.








BEETS IN SOUR CREAM


5 medium fresh beets, cooked, peeled, sliced into shoestring pieces (or a one-lb can, drained)
2 Tbl. butter or margarine
2 tsp. flour
2 Tbl. vinegar
1 Tbl. sugar
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp.dill weed
1/8 tsp. pepper
½ cup sour cream, light is fine
3 Tbl. light cream

Melt butter in medium saucepan over low heat.  Blend in flour.  Cook over low heat, stirring until mixture is smooth and bubbly. 
Remove from heat;  Stir in vinegar and the next 4 seasonings.  Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.  Boil and stir one minute. 
Stir in beets; heat through.  Stir together sour cream and light cream, pour over hot beets and heat through over low heat.  Be careful not to boil.

Comments

  1. 2 for 6. That's batting 300, which in baseball is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like beets. The recipes sound good, but I'm too lazy to cook any more.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We love you too, Hugh

The apple tree's tale

Goodby, cont.