Carrots, anyone?
I brought a recipe from home, and since I am otherwise occupied, I will put this up in lieu of pondering the universe today.
I demonstrated this for Relief Society once, and commented that you want to use good orange juice and good carrots for the best taste. One of the younger sisters asked how you knew you had good carrots--the answer is that you sniff the ends, an d if they don't smell sweet, they won't taste like much.
Hubby thinks I'm nuts, but I like the leftovers chilled just as much as I like the soup hot.
I demonstrated this for Relief Society once, and commented that you want to use good orange juice and good carrots for the best taste. One of the younger sisters asked how you knew you had good carrots--the answer is that you sniff the ends, an d if they don't smell sweet, they won't taste like much.
Hubby thinks I'm nuts, but I like the leftovers chilled just as much as I like the soup hot.
CREAM OF CARROT SOUP
1 medium onion, chopped
1 lb carrots, pared and sliced (about 3 ½ up to 4 cups)
3 Tbl. butter
2 cups water
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
Dash of cloves
1 tsp. orange peel
¾ cups orange juice
½ cup sour cream, light is fine
Sauté onions and carrots in butter for 5 minutes. Add water, salt, pepper. Bring to boil.
Lower heat, cover, and simmer for 25 minutes or until carrots are tender.
Lift carrots and onions out with slotted spoon. Place in blender, add 1 cup broth, and puree until smooth.
Return puree to broth in saucepan. Add cloves, orange rind, and juice, and heat just till boiling.
Stir about ½ cup hot soup into sour c ream in small bowl. Return to saucepan and blend in. Do not boil.
Serve.
Enjoy!
Enjoy!
That recipe sounds great. I don't do much cooking now, but I think I'll try that one. I'll probably be like you and like it cold - especially in the summer.
ReplyDeleteYou think I carrot all for that? Gotta try it.
ReplyDeleteMy apologies. Your sister has been infecting me with puns.
Since it's pureed, I hope she can eat it. Give it a whirl, sis!
ReplyDelete