Easter blessings lingering

We had a very blessed Easter.  I know that was a week ago, but it has lingered.  I haven't been writing, though it feels like it's all I've done today.

Last Sunday we had our first formal guests.  We didn't get everything unpacked and organized, but we made major inroads.  We have had another couple over for nibbles and a movie, but this was our first sit down dinner.  Our friend who gave us a spur-of-the-moment invitation for Christmas dinner when I was feeling blue we had for Easter.  We were only sorry that his wife didn't feel well and stayed home.

We dug out the leaf for the table and pulled the table out from the wall.  For just the two of us, we don't need the full length and we don't need the back side of it.  If we have the table out enough to get in and out of it on all sides, then you have to walk around it to get to the kitchen.  So we placed it up against the wall under the window with the set of blinds that we leave closed.  They're a little cranky and we don't want to risk them getting stuck because the other side of them is a bus stop (across the street) and right through that window from the bus stop is our bedroom door.  'Nuff said.  That's a southern exposure with a side street and intersection giving us open space, so there's plenty of light even with the blinds.

We put on a dark navy jacquard tablecloth and our best china.  (Pattern here)  The three adults got crystal goblets and the four kids got plain narrow mugs of blue to more or less match.  I laughed and admitted that two boxes didn't get emptied, so they were pushed into the bedroom and we closed the door, to make room to set up our card table to put the food on.  I still don't have my top on my IKEA cabinet to give me one full-depth spot in my kitchen.  (I have a long length of counter but it's very narrow. And full at the moment.)  I cut some of the daffodils that I planted last fall (yay! they came up).

There were things we didn't finish or get done, but I didn't care.  I wasn't going to let anything spoil the enjoyment.  When we arrived at church , the youngest boy told me with great excitement, "Do you know what we're doing today?  We get to come to your house for dinner!"  I grinned and told him, "Yes, you do!"

I baked a good frozen pie, made a simple cake, and astonished him with homemade rolls.  They brought cheesy mashed potatoes to go with my ham, yams, fruit salad, and broccoli.

We just had the best time. Hubby pulled out Master Clue Detective and we all played a game of it before we had to send them off so we could go to the performance of Lamb of God, with a regional choir from five stakes.  Our church meetings were wonderful, our house was full of kids, and our spirits were filled with Easter music.

I still haven't caught up with dishes.  Oh, Sunday's are long done, but I'm still running behind.  I had to wash the china and let it air dry, I don't want to drop anything with the intermittent numbness I have in my right hand.  I didn't want to crowd the drainboard and chip anything, either.  I do miss having a dishwasher.  But it was a perfect day and it's been a blessed week.

Here is a sampling of the music of this modern oratorio with pictures of the Savior.  Here is the song I left singing to myself.  It speaks truth no matter what the date, it doesn't matter that Easter is over.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We love you too, Hugh

The apple tree's tale

Goodby, cont.