New picture
[I found that this had not been finished and posted when I changed my pic. Woops; done now.]
There's a new picture on my page, the old one was out in front of a house where I don't live anymore. It seemed like a good time to put a new me up before the world.
I had a birthday, and it didn't just make a year older, it put me in a new decade. I asked a dear friend of mine to use my camera and take a photo after class that day--so this is me at exactly 60 years of age.
We went out for dinner on the actual day, and did the second half of our plans on the following day: we went to see The Wizard of Oz in its new release, and we saw it in IMAX 3-D. It was quite an adventure to watch that beloved classic in that format, the detail is gorgeous. The lollipop shrubs in Munchkinland, for example, and the poppy field. You know the scene where Dorothy and the Scarecrow come to the orchard where the trees are angry at them for picking their apples? There's a bird in that tree, which you could see, and it's a toucan, which you could not see on the small screen. A toucan! Real, as a colorful sign that they were not in Kansas, bleak and grey.
It's a mark of how good that film is that, much repeated, familiar, and now blown huge, it was not cheesy. Oh, there were a couple of moments that you saw that the effects were primitive--like when the flying monkeys out the tower window were seen taking off and you said, yup, paper mache--but they lasted ten seconds and didn't break the spell. Being digitized, the colors had to be chosen and so were maybe more intense, sometimes--the poppy field was certainly visually amazing. But the detail was there, created originally, and simply transferred to a new format.
I'm sorry that it was gone so fast, we had to go out of Tacoma to get it, but I hope they do it again for the rest of you someday. It was very cool.
There's a new picture on my page, the old one was out in front of a house where I don't live anymore. It seemed like a good time to put a new me up before the world.
I had a birthday, and it didn't just make a year older, it put me in a new decade. I asked a dear friend of mine to use my camera and take a photo after class that day--so this is me at exactly 60 years of age.
We went out for dinner on the actual day, and did the second half of our plans on the following day: we went to see The Wizard of Oz in its new release, and we saw it in IMAX 3-D. It was quite an adventure to watch that beloved classic in that format, the detail is gorgeous. The lollipop shrubs in Munchkinland, for example, and the poppy field. You know the scene where Dorothy and the Scarecrow come to the orchard where the trees are angry at them for picking their apples? There's a bird in that tree, which you could see, and it's a toucan, which you could not see on the small screen. A toucan! Real, as a colorful sign that they were not in Kansas, bleak and grey.
It's a mark of how good that film is that, much repeated, familiar, and now blown huge, it was not cheesy. Oh, there were a couple of moments that you saw that the effects were primitive--like when the flying monkeys out the tower window were seen taking off and you said, yup, paper mache--but they lasted ten seconds and didn't break the spell. Being digitized, the colors had to be chosen and so were maybe more intense, sometimes--the poppy field was certainly visually amazing. But the detail was there, created originally, and simply transferred to a new format.
I'm sorry that it was gone so fast, we had to go out of Tacoma to get it, but I hope they do it again for the rest of you someday. It was very cool.
Comments
Post a Comment