Making adjustments

Sorry this space has been vacant for so many days.  I didn't die and forget to give notice, honest.  There's been a lot going on, I was sick, and the phone transfer didn't work, hmmm.  Well, it worked for a couple of hours and then went dead, dead, dead, even from the outside box, and they had to order someone to repair it.  Those are the things that have kept me away.

Almost everything that is coming over is here, but not quite.  The things that still have to be gone through are problem stuff, but we have been actually here for a week, and getting adjusted.  Once the bed is moved, home is the place where you go to sleep and wake up and eat breakfast.

This is a funny little old house.  The floor is not even, I am learning the dips and rises as I move from the entry to the living room to the dining room, and on.  There is a slope upwards into the living room, and a small depression, if I hit it just right, at that end of the dining room--it's just the size of the forward rock, stepping, of the ball of my foot.  There are also no shelves above the clothes rods in the closets--my designated closet has its rod above my head but the ceiling is way high--and when I measured to see if we could get a board cut and drop it in, one end was more than a full inch wider than the other.  I'm not sure how to take that order to Lowes!  It's on the list of things I am still thinking about.

We had to switch the bedrooms we envisioned as study and bedroom.  We were going to put the office in the room off the dining room, and sleep in the back bedroom which goes off from the kitchen.  It's a whole two inches longer (the bedrooms are only 9x11) and it's closer to the bathroom, an important consideration for the middle of the night.  But a bed opposite the closet would cover the heating vent, and it turns out that there is only one phone jack in this place, and it's in that back room.  So that's where the computer is set up, and two desks more or less, and a daybed because our youngest still wants to be able to come home.  Oh, and there is only one electrical outlet in each of the bedrooms too.

It was weird to do my physical therapy exercises last night on the living room floor.  (I came down with a cold last Sunday night, so I hadn't fully gotten into them during the week.)  It's not flat!  It tilts.  Not very cushy either, the carpet's pretty cheap, but that's okay because it's new.  New carpet is good because I don't have to worry about whether a cat ever lived here, which would mean we signed a lease on a place I can't live in.

Laundry awaits tomorrow, which means trips up and down, outside, to the basement.  I have to have a jacket and keys in hand to wash our clothes, and I realized that I'd better always get them finished and fetched up before the evening, because you can't really wake up and dash downstairs for your underwear if you have to go outside in the rain, in your pajamas, to get it.

I'm also starting to remember (before I go in) that the very visible switch inside the bathroom is NOT the light, only the fan, and the bathroom light is outside the door.  The amount of sound sometimes from outside makes me stop to see if the kitchen window is open, which of course it isn't and shouldn't be while we're running the furnace, because that much outdoor noise in the other house would mean that a window WAS open.  We are on a corner, and the street to the side, out the kitchen window, is on a bus line.  It and the parallel street on the other end of the block used to be one way; they were converted to two-way traffic a few years ago, but the buses were never changed.  I think that's just as well, or we would have twice as many buses going past, some in each direction. From our direction, there is a stop on the other side of our cross street heading downtown.  There is also a fire station on that street, five blocks up, and one block above ours is the neighborhood commercial strip.  With the two main city hospitals located five blocks, front door, in one direction and seven blocks, back door, in the other, we have some sirens.  At least the bedrooms are on the side away from the street, it helps a little.  (People who live here understand the up and down because 'down' is both downtown and downhill.  'Up' is west, going uphill from the bay.)

There are so many things you need in a new place, just because it's a different space and has to be organized differently.  I am sorting out, and grateful to know that we are here because the Lord opened it up for us; so everything will work out.  On one level, it's kind of fun to create a new environment.

More on the challenges and delights as they unfold.  For now, I am just glad we found where we needed to go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We love you too, Hugh

The apple tree's tale

Goodby, cont.